Are you sick and tired of going deep into the Big G (no puns intended)…
…just to find information about Esports and professional gaming?
I know the feeling, we’ve all done it.
Imagine what it would be like to have one page that helps make your life just a little bit easier.
Boom! Then it hit me:
Since I can’t find anything like that anywhere, I might as well create one of my own!
So let’s get to it.
The Ultimate List of the Web’s Best Esports & Professional Gaming Resources
From Esports tournaments to getting an Esports job, this guide has you covered.
I scoured through the online realm to determine topics that have the highest level of interest.
From there, it all boils down to 10 chapters that cover (almost) everything about Esports & professional gaming.
A word of caution:
This is not a perfect resource. Feel free to contact me if you have some ideas to improve this further.
Chapter 1: What Everybody Ought to Know about Esports
If you’re new to Esports – or looking to brush up on the basics…
…these resources will help you get your pursuits off on the right foot.
The old saying rings true; one must learn to crawl before one can learn to walk.
You’ll learn all the essentials and the technical jargons of Esports. Whether you’re a serious gamer or just a casual player, it won’t matter that much.
- What is Esports? [Gaming Definition, Meaning] | Honey’s Anime
- Get Introduced to Esports | Red Bull
- What are Esports? A beginner’s guide to pro gaming | Trusted Reviews
- What Are Esports? A Pro Videogaming Guide for the Rest of Us. | Recode
- An Introduction to ‘Esports’ and the World of Competitive Gaming | New Rising Media
- How to Talk Esports | Dot eSports
- Resistance is futile: Esports is massive…and growing | ESPN
- An Introduction to the Esports Ecosystem | The eSports Observer
- E-Sports Basics: Introduction to E-Sports | YouTube
Chapter 2: The Esports Games & Tournaments That Gamers Are Talking About
Don’t you just hate it when your friends talk about all the Esports stuff that’s going on & you have no idea what they’re saying?
It’s the question you secretly dread:
“What’s your favorite Esports game/tournament & why?”
Sure, you can just wing it and say whatever you hear from other people. But eventually, you will have to know much more.
In this chapter, you’ll learn (again, almost) everything there is to know about the most popular Esports games & tournaments out there.
- Top 10 Esports Games/Divisions for Esports Organizations | Gamers
- The Best Esports Games for Lighting Your Competitive Fires | PC Mag
- Top 5 Highest paying Esport Games | XY Gaming
- Top 10 Most Popular Esports in the World Right Now | Twinfinite
- You Think It’s Just a Game? 15 of Esports’ Most Popular Video Games. | Dallas Observer
- Esports Games Tiers | eSports Observer
- What Types of Games Does Esports Include? | eSports Betting Elite
- E-Sports Basics: Types of eSports | YouTube
- E-Sports Basics: Tournaments | YouTube
Chapter 3: Answered- Your Most Burning Questions About the Esports Teams & Associations
Strictly speaking, you don’t have to learn too much about the teams that compete in Esports. After all, most of them will not make it to the top 3 rankings.
However, you will miss the fact that unlike teams in traditional sports, the teams in Esports do not consistently win due to various factors.
Just look at Dota 2’s The International, none of the teams (& players) have won it twice as of yet. That’s just what makes it all the more exciting.
Here are some incredible resources that will help you know more about the Esports teams that are in the big leagues.
- Highest Overall Team Earnings | Esports Earnings
- Ten Franchise Teams for ‘League of Legends’ North American Esports League Unveiled | Variety
- Guide to The Overwatch League – Team Brands, Their Owners, and Investors | Esports Observer
- The World’s Biggest Esports Organizations | Esports Betting Ninja
- Overwatch League teams, structure, schedule and everything else we know | PC Games N
- How to Figure Out Which Esports Team to Support | Inverse
- 10 Most Valuable Esports Organizations | YouTube
Chapter 4: The Lazy Gamer’s Way to Get the Latest Esports News & Events
If you’re like me, then you likely don’t have much time to keep abreast of the current Esports happenings.
But it’s still an important thing to do, or you would be missing out on the most exciting scenes of the year.
Here are some fantastic resources to keep yourself updated at lightning speed with the current events of Esports.
- Esports Gaming Events | GosuGamers
- theScore Esports
- Esports News: LoL, Dota 2, Hearthstone | ESPN
- The Esports Observer
- Global Esports News, Analysis, Tournament Coverage, and More | Dot Esports
- ESports News, Videos, Reviews and Gossip | Kotaku
- Latest News. Never Miss A Thing. | G2 Esports
- News – Esports Insider
- Esports News, Schedule, and Match Results | Blitz Esports
Chapter 5: To People That Want to Participate in Esports But Can’t Get Started
So you want to contribute to the Esports movement but you don’t know how to begin?
The simplest and easiest thing to do would be to just buy the tickets and attend any Esports events that tickle your fancy.
The ticket sales itself goes a long way towards supporting the industry; more ticket purchases equal more sponsors and so on.
But what if you want to do much more than that?
In that case, here are some of the best resources to get the ball rolling.
- Nebtune Lays Out the Basics Of Esports Commentary | PVP Live
- 4 Tips for Live Streaming like a Pro | iQ Intel
- Esport Recruitment Reference for Professionals | Esport Staff
- Find a Career | The Esports Observer
- Twitch: How to stream your games | PCWorld
- How to Stream a PC Game With Twitch | How-To Geek
- How to Set Up a Professional Twitch Stream / My Streaming Setup | YouTube
Chapter 6: Powerful & Proven Methods That Will Improve Your Esports Performance
Here’s the deal:
Playing more does get you better at gaming, but there are other aspects outside of games that you need to build on too.
Usain Bolt would have run all day if it’s only about the sport, but he does other things such as mental training and muscle workouts.
Here you will learn to improve the external factors that will skyrocket your gaming results, to dominate over all others that ignore these elements.
- How Esports Athletes Stay Healthy | iQ Intel
- We Promise You This: Your Gaming Skills WILL Improve if You Follow This Advice | BrainZyme
- New studies illustrate how gamers get good | Brown University
- 25 Tips That Will Improve Your Gaming Skills Considerably | PC Gaming Enthusiast
- 25 Easy Tips To Improve Your Gaming Skills | List25
- 4 Easy Drills to Improve Hand-Eye Coordination | Outside Online
- 4 Exercises for Gamers That Promote Optimal Wrist Health | Side Quest Fitness
- The Key to Improve Your Gaming Skills INSANELY Fast | YouTube
Chapter 7: How to Make Money with Esports When You’re Not a Professional Gamer
Let’s face it:
Becoming a professional gamer that gets to laugh all the way to the bank by winning those lucrative prizes is extremely hard.
Those millionaire gamers are an exception, they are not the norm. Even time itself is not in our favor.
But there are other ways we can make a living out of Esports. In addition to that, we stand a greater chance of success at it than competitive gaming.
Here are some of the most helpful resources in learning how to bang out some cheques with Esports:
- Getting a career in Esports: What you need to know & how to get started | British Esports
- Career Opportunities in the Esports Industry [Infographic] | Jobs on Toast
- 7 Tips by Fnatic that will get you a career in Esports | Dafa Esports
- How do you find a job in Esports? | Esports Insider
- How Are Esports Making The Big Money (And You Can, Too) | Domain .ME
- What types of Esports jobs are there? | British Esports Association
- 6 Ways to Actually Make Money Playing Video Games | MakeUseOf
Chapter 8: Who Else Wants More Esports Infographics?
Here’s the thing:
I love infographics. In fact, I love them so much that I created an Esports infographic of my own.
Nothing beats infographic when it comes to learning anything in a bite-sized format. This chapter is a collection of cool infographics about Esports that I’m sure you will love.
- Esports VS Sports: Pastime or Endeavor? [INFOGRAPHIC] | GamingTub
- ELEAGUE Major Infographic | G2 Esports
- League of Legends Guides and Infographics | Mobalytics
- Overwatch Uprising Infographic | Overwatch
- Become a Kiev Major expert with our infographic | Red Bull
- Infographic: Esports: what is it + sponsor data | Optimy
- INFOGRAPHIC: The anatomy of an Esports tournament | UHCL The Signal
- A Brief History of Esports [Infographic] | ESReality
- Infographic: The International 2017 by the numbers | TheScore Esports
Chapter 9: Case Studies & Testimonials
How else can we prove that something is real and proven other than a case study?
Here are some amazing case studies from “insider” Esports participants and employees doing the hard work of developing the Esports industry.
Quite simply, you’ll learn how other people are making a career for themselves.
After reading this chapter, you should be able to shake it off when someone tells you that earning a livelihood out of gaming is impossible.
- 6 Lessons You Can Learn From Analyzing Esports Brands on Social Media | Sotrender
- Demetrious Johnson on PUBG, esports tournaments, and live streaming into retirement | PC Gamer
- Team Liquid’s Steve Arhancet tells us how to run an Esports team | VentureBeat
- A Real Career in Esports | SteelSeries
- The Reality Behind the Pro Gaming Scene | IGN
- How To Become A Pro Gamer – 8 Tips From The Pros | iQ Intel
- The Growing List Of Professional Athletes Taking On ESports | A-List
- Professional Gamers: A Day in the Life | PCWorld
Chapter 10: Last but Certainly Not the Least
In my opinion, this will be the most important and the most updated chapter out of them all.
Why am I saying this?
It’s because I’m going to make sure that the information in this chapter is not older than a year.
These will be the things that I believe are quite important but don’t quite fit in with the earlier chapters.
- What I learned visiting my first live Esports tournament | Ars Technica
- Esports is quickly becoming a big business for game-makers | Business Insider
- 10 Best Schools for Gamers | College Magazine
- Is Blizzard’s Esports Ambitions Scaring Away Esports Teams? | USGamer
- E-sports just got closer to being part of the Olympics | Business Insider
- Esports Burnout and the Dreaded Work-Life Balance | Esports Edition
- What it takes to be an international Esports player | news.com.au
- Professional Gamer Salary: This Esports League Will Pay Pro Gamers $50,000 Plus Benefits | Bloomberg